If you are expecting this site to show a person whose house is spotless, with homemade meals and desert made from scratch on the table every night, the laundry always caught up, my kid always acting perfect and handmade gifts given for every holiday, then you’ve landed on the wrong site.

If you are NOT like the person mentioned above and you want to come hang out with someone who isn’t a Supermom either, then you’ve come to the right place.

Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Keep Your Toddler in a Rear-Facing Car Seat Until Age 2 (Not 1)

"American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) comments on rear-facing car seats. There is a well known myth that toddlers in rear-facing car seats whose feet can reach the back of the vehicle seat are more likely to suffer injuries to their legs in a car accident, however these injuries are NOT common in rear-facing seats.
New research indicates that children under 2 years of age are 75% less likely to die or experience serious injury when they ride in a rear-facing car seat and, toddlers between 1 and 2 years of age are 5 times safer than toddlers who ride in a front-facing car seat."


Wow! Those are some pretty impressive percentages!

I still have my 17 month old facing backwards and since he has never ridden any other way, he doesn't give me any trouble. I have noticed, though that he seems to be the only toddler I have seen still facing backwards. When I go to the park or store, etc, I always see kids his age and even younger facing forward. I find this terribly disturbing. When I heard that during a crash that toddlers can incur what is called an internal decapitation, where their necks and soft tissues break from the force of their over sized heads slamming forward, I knew I had to keep him rear facing as long as possible.

I know lifting a toddler in and out of a rear facing seat is hard to do especially in the backseat of a little car. It kills my back sometimes to lift him and I have often times accidentally bumped his little head on the inside roof trying to get him in. I am teaching him though, to climb in himself then I buckle him in. It can be a hassle, but to me his safety is worth it.

I highly recommend you keep your child rear facing as long as possible till age two as recommended. I'm sure you'll agree that their lives are certainly worth the hassle.

You can read more on this article Here

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails