If you are expecting this site to show a person whose house is spotless, with homemade meals and desert made from scratch on the table every night, the laundry always caught up, my kid always acting perfect and handmade gifts given for every holiday, then you’ve landed on the wrong site.

If you are NOT like the person mentioned above and you want to come hang out with someone who isn’t a Supermom either, then you’ve come to the right place.

Follow Me on Pinterest

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Sometimes You Just Have to Let Them Watch TV!

I know, I know, letting little ones watch too much TV is a no no, but sometimes the TV is a life saver. When you have things that need to get done, like writing articles, and you have a cranky toddler, sometimes you just have to use what tools are available to you. If sticking in a video or letting them watch some PBS shows are the tools you use, then so be it.

Does it make me a bad mom because sometimes I do this? I don’t think so. It’s not like I feed him chicken nuggets and let him veg out in front the TV every day. Just now and then. Some days we don’t watch TV at all. There are just days when it’s rainy or cold outside, I have a lot of work to catch up on and I need that extra help. Though he may not watch TV all day, I have been known to let him watch more than the recommended 2 hours.

I also encourage self play with his cars, toys or coloring. Play dough on the kitchen table buys me a good 20 minutes and the mess is minimal. I also stop for short moments to read him a book or play a short time with him which is enough to satisfy his constantly needing mom requests.

I think many children nowadays that have every second scheduled for them, don’t know how to play on their own or how to entertain themselves. As a parent, always being the activities director for your children may end up hurting them as they get older if they don’t know how to play by themselves. Not knowing how to entertain themselves as a kid, I believe can cause all kinds of problems as they get older. You don’t want to end up with a child who constantly needs you or others to be with him or to entertain him.

So, again, it’s not like I leave him to his own devices or let him sit like a zombie in front of the TV all day every day. More like an occasional day to just chill. Sometimes I’m right there next to him watching the tube. Snuggling on the couch, eating popcorn for lunch, taking a nap together and just hanging out is just what you may need to recharge.

We all lead stressful, hectic lives and spending some down time with your kids can be fun and will make them feel important enough because you took time out of your busy schedule to spend it with them. Even if you are doing relatively nothing, you are doing it together and that can mean the world to a child. I challenge any so called, “expert” to prove to me that chilling every now and then with your child is bad for you or makes you a bad parent.


Time to go. My favorite part of the movie is coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails