If you are expecting this site to show a person whose house is spotless, with homemade meals and desert made from scratch on the table every night, the laundry always caught up, my kid always acting perfect and handmade gifts given for every holiday, then you’ve landed on the wrong site.

If you are NOT like the person mentioned above and you want to come hang out with someone who isn’t a Supermom either, then you’ve come to the right place.

Follow Me on Pinterest

Thursday, October 29, 2009

ENGINE TIPS:Picking the Right Carburetor

By: Don Terrill (c) from Racingsecrets.com

Comparing carburetors by their manufacturer's cfm ratings is the number one mistake racers make when picking a carburetor. In the old days it was easy -Holley was the only game in town. Today, with more competition has come more methods for rating carburetor air flow - It has become very hard to compare apples to apples.

I recommend that you don't even look at CFM numbers.

What needs to be decided and in what order:
1. Air Flow Path Dimensions - Venturi and Throttle Plate diameters
2. Type/Series - 4150, 4500 (Dominator), etc
3. Manufacturer - Holley, Barry Grant, etc
4. Linkage Style - Progressive, vacuum, 1:1, etc
5. Booster Style - Down Leg, Annular Discharge, etc

Number one on that list is by far the most important decision you will make.

Questions that need to be answered:
1. Engine Size - More cubic inches = more cfm (size)required.
2. RPM - More rpm = more cfm (size) required.
3. Application - Racing on limited tires and need to kill some lowend? Try a larger carburetor. Got'er hooked and need some more lowend? You got it, try a smaller carb.

Never, and I mean never: Loan or get rid of a good carburetor. They all have their own personality and some are just better than others.

My notes: I agree with the never get rid of any carburetor comment. I did once. I let go of a decent carburetor because it didn’t work for my current application. I now wish I had it back as it might work for my current setup. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails