If you are expecting this site to show a person whose house is spotless, with homemade meals and desert made from scratch on the table every night, the laundry always caught up, my kid always acting perfect and handmade gifts given for every holiday, then you’ve landed on the wrong site.

If you are NOT like the person mentioned above and you want to come hang out with someone who isn’t a Supermom either, then you’ve come to the right place.

Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Horse Tips: Bits


When trying to choose the right bit, go for the lightest, easiest bit first.
The majority of horses, even ones with issues will respond to a light snaffle. Remember the mouth is a very sensitive place. Severe bits are not needed and should be avoided at all costs. After all, your goal is to have your horse go willingly, quietly and softly, right?


When starting horses for the first time or even when working with an older horse that has issues we need to overcome I actually prefer a side pull bridle which has no bit at all. Below is a picture of one.


When starting a young horse, I work him only in the side pull first then when he is going good I will introduce him to the snaffle. Usually just a D-ring or sometimes a full cheek snaffle which also puts pressure against the side of the mouth helping him to bend his head.

Now the bridle with the bit is worn under the side pull bridle at the same time. I do not however use the bridle with the bit’s reins. I tie them off loosely on the horn. I just want him to carry the bit in his mouth for a while and get used to it. When he is at ease with it, then I may pick up the reins, but only at the halt at first. I put pressure on only one rein and release the very moment he gives his head, even if it’s only a fraction of an inch. The idea here is reward him for “giving in” to the bit and build on it. It is very important you release the rein at the very moment he gives so he can learn the reward system. I will repeat it a few times on that side than switch to the other rein. Then pick up the side pull’s reins and work on the lesson for the day. The next lesson will have more bit work and I then build on it slowly till I am working solely with the bridle with the bit’s reins and then I no longer need the side pull.

I pretty much may do the same with the older horse unless he responds well to the snaffle. If he goes well with the snaffle then that’s where I start. I will use the side pull though if he has trouble responding to rein cues or does not give well to the bit.

Remember, the key is very small steps done in short increments rather than long, tiring lessons. Horses are like children and can absorb only so much at one time till they get overloaded and their brains shut down. Keep your lessons short and sweet and always try and end on a good note. Even if that means going back to a maneuver he knows well.
I rarely go over an hour with a lesson and most are under an hour especially when working with young horses. There have been a few exceptions to this when I am working a horse that is being stubborn, I am trying to find a good note to end on and he is unwilling to give me that. Then I will keep going to we can reach a good compromise for both sides.
It makes him feel good that he can do something that pleases you and he will remember that the next time you are ready to work. You want your horse to look forward to the next lesson, not dread it. You also want to look forward to the next lesson and not dread it yourself, right?

Happy Trails

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails