If you are expecting this site to show a person whose house is spotless, with homemade meals and desert made from scratch on the table every night, the laundry always caught up, my kid always acting perfect and handmade gifts given for every holiday, then you’ve landed on the wrong site.

If you are NOT like the person mentioned above and you want to come hang out with someone who isn’t a Supermom either, then you’ve come to the right place.

Follow Me on Pinterest

Friday, January 23, 2009

Nursing Babies


Now here's a subject that may make men and some women uncomfortable.


At the time of writing this I am breastfeeding my 6 ½ month old son. Would you believe since birth? Ha-ha.
Seriously though, unless you breastfeed yourself you wouldn't believe how many people especially women are so unsupportive. I was shocked and dismayed.
Apparently they treat it like some sort of new age voodoo or something. They seem shocked when they find out.

No, I don't wear a t-shirt or anything that says, "Hey, I Breastfeed!" When they ask, I tell them. And they always ask.
But they act like it is weird. Like it is so unnatural.


I'm not here to start a war of words over breastfeeding vs. formula and I understand why some women choose one over the other, but come on, there is nothing more natural than breastfeeding. Try and argue that it isn't.


I want to list some of my personal favorite comments that have been said to me. I have also decided to include my response to them. By the way, 99% of these comments came from women.

  • Breastfeeding makes your boobs sag.
    “Actually, age and gravity does that. Milk makes them bigger and I haven’t received a complaint from my man yet on their larger size now.”
  • It will hurt too much. You won't like it.
    “It’s not supposed to hurt and when done right it doesn’t.”
  • Your clothes won't fit right again.
    ”Yeah, I’ll show more cleavage. Guys don’t like that do they.”
  • You won't be able to do it and work.
    “Want to bet?”
  • You pump your milk at work? That's gross!
    “It’s not like I do out in front of everybody!”
  • You won't be able to keep up the supply. Your baby will starve.
    “Very few women have supply issues. Especially if you nurse often in the beginning. It’s based on supply and demand. The more the demand, the more supply there usually is.”
  • He won't do as well as other babies since he won't be getting enough nutrients .
    “You mean he won’t be obese like you see some babies?” He’s right on the money for his age and nature makes sure he gets what he needs.”Other animals do just fine on mother’s milk, why wouldn’t we? Man wouldn’t be here if it didn’t work.”
  • You can't eat what you want. You have to be careful what you eat. No Mexican, Chinese, no spicy foods only bland foods.
    ”I eat whatever I want to. Other than alcohol and some medicines there are no restrictions.”
  • You can't drink!
    “SO?”
  • You will cause him to grow up and have a boob fetish.
    “You’re kidding right? Don’t all men have a boob fetish?”
  • You will have a hard time weaning him.
    “No harder than from a bottle.”
  • You won't be doing it for long, I guarantee it.
    “Guarantee it? I mean what's the guarantee? What are they going to give me? Money? Formula? What??”
  • My personal favorite - You won't be doing this anymore when he gets teeth.

Amazingly enough this is being said by women who have never breastfed or didn't for very long. They have no clue on how a baby nurses. I wonder why they care. I mean do they think of me and my boobs often? And why would they mention this out loud in front of everyone? I'm embarrassed that they did, why aren't they for thinking of my boobs and my little one potentially biting one off?

So let’s address this one. My baby has two bottom teeth. I don't have a problem with him biting me there. He will however bite you on the shoulder and smile sweetly when you scold him. If you are wondering yes, he has bit me before he had teeth and I stopped him of that right then. Taking away the "milk" is a great deterrent and he hasn't done it since. But when finding out I breastfeed and then to boldly shout out in front of a mixed crowd, "Your mommy won't be letting you do that once you get teeth" just totally amazes me.

I may never understand why women are the worst supporters of other women when it comes to this subject.

So please, I thank you for thinking of me and my boobs, but don't.

Please visit La Leche League International at http://www.llli.org/ for more info and the benefits on breastfeeding.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails